The Beastie Boys on rap, friendship and taking a stand for their values
2019-05-24 00:00:00


JUDY WOODRUFF: The Beastie Boys.(1)
JUDY WOODRUFF:The Beastie Boys。

The rap trio sold millions of albums, andthe two surviving members have now written(2)
说唱三人组售出了数百万张专辑,现在已经写下了两位幸存的成员

a book about their experiences.(3)
一本关于他们经历的书。

Jeffrey Brown spoke with them recently atthis year's South By Southwest Festival in(4)
杰弗里·布朗最近在今年的南方西南节上与他们交谈

Austin, Texas.(5)
德克萨斯州奥斯汀市。

It's part of our ongoing coverage of artsand culture, Canvas.(6)
这是我们对艺术和文化的持续报道的一部分,Canvas。

JEFFREY BROWN: They're part of hip-hop history,an unlikely part, three white kids from Brooklyn,(7)
JEFFREY BROWN:他们是嘻哈历史的一部分,不太可能是布鲁克林的三个白人孩子,

teenagers when they first met in high school,and combined rock, rap and humor in a way(8)
青少年在高中时第一次见面,并在某种程度上结合了摇滚,说唱和幽默

that would speak to millions.(9)
这会对数百万人说话。

ADAM HOROVITZ, Beastie Boys: I don't knowhow to describe that feeling that you have(10)
ADAM HOROVITZ,Beastie Boys:我不知道如何描述你的感受

towards that thing or what that thing is reachesinside of you.(11)
对那件事情或者那东西到达你内心的东西。

It spoke to us as kids.(12)
它以小孩的身份对我们说话。

Just, it seemed, like, attainable.(13)
只是,似乎可以实现。

MIKE DIAMOND, Beastie Boys: All of us justfelt like, wait, this is for us.(14)
MIKE DIAMOND,Beastie Boys:我们所有人都觉得,等等,这是给我们的。

One of the reasons I loved rap music was becauseI knew that nobody else at school would possibly(15)
我喜欢说唱音乐的原因之一是因为我知道学校里没有其他人可能

mess with it.(16)
搞砸了。

There was no way other kids at school weregoing to love it, which is obviously so contrary(17)
在学校里其他孩子都不会喜欢它,这显然是相反的

to existence now.(18)
现在存在

JEFFREY BROWN: Things certainly changed forrap as it moved from its origins in the South(19)
JEFFREY BROWN:随着它从南方的起源转移,事情肯定会发生变化

Bronx to an international phenomenon.(20)
布朗克斯国际现象。

And the Beastie Boys, Adam "MCA" Yauch Mike"Mike D" Diamond, and Adam "Ad-Rock" Horovitz,(21)
还有Beastie Boys,Adam“MCA”Yauch Mike“Mike D”Diamond和Adam“Ad-Rock”Horovitz,

helped make that happen.(22)
帮助实现这一目标。

Beginning in 1986, with "License to Ill,"they made eight albums that sold more than(23)
从1986年开始,凭借“生病许可证”,他们制作了八张专辑,售价超过了

40 million records.(24)
4000万条记录。

The last came out in 2011, a year before AdamYauch died of cancer at age 47.(25)
最后一次出现在2011年,也就是Adam Yauch在47岁时因癌症去世前一年。

Mike Diamond and Adam Horovitz have now toldthe band's story in a book that takes us back(26)
Mike Diamond和Adam Horovitz现在已经在一本书中讲述了乐队的故事,这本书将我们带回来

to New York in the late '70s.(27)
70年代后期到纽约。

MIKE DIAMOND: It was this place where I feellike, if you were the weirdo in whatever part(28)
MIKE DIAMOND:我觉得这个地方就是这个地方,如果你是任何一个怪人的话

of the world that you were from, you couldmove to New York without having a plan.(29)
你来自世界,你可以在没有计划的情况下搬到纽约。

You could just have this ambition that, OK,I'm going to write poetry, or I'm going to(30)
你可以有这样的野心,好吧,我要写诗,或者我要去

be a painter, I'm going to make some kindof weird noise, music that nobody's ever made(31)
作为一名画家,我会发出某种奇怪的声音,这是一种没人做过的音乐

or heard before.(32)
或之前听过。

JEFFREY BROWN: Rap music was still in itsearly years, but the three teens liked what(33)
JEFFREY BROWN:说唱音乐还处于早期阶段,但三位青少年喜欢什么

they heard, and started playing around, literally.(34)
他们听到了,然后开始玩耍。

ADAM HOROVITZ: When we started rapping, wewere terrible, like really bad.(35)
ADAM HOROVITZ:当我们开始说唱时,我们很糟糕,就像真的很糟糕。

We just loved the music and we're having fundoing this.(36)
我们只是喜欢音乐,我们很乐意这样做。

Let's do it, never thinking that anythingwould come of it.(37)
让我们这样做,从不认为会发生任何事情。

JEFFREY BROWN: But they caught on.(38)
JEFFREY BROWN:但他们流行起来。

And, soon enough, they were recording andperforming, and then had a new realization.(39)
并且,很快,他们正在录制和表演,然后有了新的认识。

MIKE DIAMOND: We were playing with all theseother groups, UTFO, Kurtis Blow.(40)
MIKE DIAMOND:我们和其他所有团体一起玩,UTFO,Kurtis Blow。

It wasn't until we all of a sudden got onstage in a room like this, like packed with(41)
直到我们突然在这样的房间上台,就像挤满了

an audience, and we were -- I was like, oh,wait.(42)
观众,我们 - 我就像,哦,等等。

We're like -- we're kind of like the onlywhite people here.(43)
我们就像 - 我们有点像这里唯一的白人。

We had no -- we didn't know that that wasall sort of what that was leading up to.(44)
我们没有 - 我们不知道那是什么导致的。

JEFFREY BROWN: Early on, they recorded withDef Jam, one of the most important labels(45)
JEFFREY BROWN:早期,他们录制了Def Jam,这是最重要的品牌之一

in hip-hop, along with groups like Run-D.M.C.,and they helped bring in white audiences as(46)
在嘻哈音乐,以及像Run-DMC这样的团体,他们帮助吸引白人观众

hip-hop continued to grow.(47)
嘻哈音乐继续增长。

They told me of the good and sometimes badways that race came up.(48)
他们告诉我种族出现的好的,有时甚至是糟糕的方式。

ADAM HOROVITZ: It's happened a lot of timesover the years, where a white person will(49)
ADAM HOROVITZ:这些年来发生了很多次,白人会这样

come up, talking to us.(50)
来吧,跟我们说话。

A white person will be like, you know, I don'treally like rap music, but I like you guys.(51)
一个白人会像,你知道,我不喜欢说唱音乐,但我喜欢你们。

JEFFREY BROWN: What does that mean?(52)
JEFFREY BROWN:这是什么意思?

ADAM HOROVITZ: That means, like, you know,I don't really like those black people doing(53)
ADAM HOROVITZ:这意味着,就像,你知道,我真的不喜欢那些黑人

that thing, but you guys are white, so that'scool.(54)
那件事,但你们都是白人,所以这很酷。

MIKE DIAMOND: So, it's OK with me, yes.(55)
MIKE DIAMOND:是的,我可以,是的。

Somehow, we're supposed to sign off on thatracism.(56)
不知何故,我们应该签署这种种族主义。

JEFFREY BROWN: And your reaction is?(57)
JEFFREY BROWN:你的反应是什么?

ADAM HOROVITZ: OK.(58)
ADAM HOROVITZ:好的。

MIKE DIAMOND: Yes, what are you going to say?(59)
MIKE DIAMOND:是的,你会说什么?

What are you going to say at that point?(60)
那时你打算说什么?

JEFFREY BROWN: Another issue in their story,their own sexism, misogyny and homophobia.(61)
JEFFREY BROWN:他们的故事中的另一个问题,他们自己的性别歧视,厌女症和同性恋恐惧症。

It was all over their early work in words,on-stage antics and videos.(62)
这完全是他们早期的文字,舞台滑稽动作和视频。

The group, in fact, originally in includeda young woman, Kate Schellenbach.(63)
事实上,该团体最初包括一名年轻女子凯特谢勒巴赫。

She was kicked out as the so-called boys,by their own reckoning, acted out in ways(64)
当所谓的男孩们被他们自己推算出来时,她被踢出去了

they came to regret.(65)
他们后悔了。

By the early 90s, they were rhyming versesabout respecting women.(66)
到了90年代初,他们正在押韵关于尊重女性的经文。

ADAM HOROVITZ: We all hope that, as we getolder, a little -- we grow a little and we(67)
ADAM HOROVITZ:我们都希望,随着年龄的增长,我们会变得有点 - 我们会成长一点,我们

learn, right?(68)
学习吧?

Learning from mistakes, learning from friends,all we want to do is just learn and grow as(69)
从错误中学习,向朋友学习,我们所要做的就是学习和成长

people, right?(70)
人,对吗?

Isn't that what we're supposed to do?(71)
这不是我们应该做的吗?

JEFFREY BROWN: Not only did you stop doingthat, but you even made a message in another(72)
JEFFREY BROWN:你不仅没有停止这样做,而且你甚至在另一个人身上发了消息

direction, right?(73)
方向,对吗?

MIKE DIAMOND: Well, I mean, it's obvious.(74)
MIKE DIAMOND:嗯,我的意思是,这很明显。

Like, take the opportunity to actually bethe example of change.(75)
比如,抓住机会实际上是变革的榜样。

That's the opportunity that exists there andbe open to that in your actions.(76)
那是存在的机会,并在你的行动中对此持开放态度。

ADAM HOROVITZ: We played in this festivala while ago.(77)
ADAM HOROVITZ:我们不久前参加了这个节日。

One of the bands on the bill was this bandThe Prodigy, right?(78)
该法案的其中一个乐队就是这支乐队The Prodigy,对吧?

And they had a song called "Smack My BitchUp," which was like a big song.(79)
他们有一首名叫“Smack My Bitch Up”的歌,就像一首大歌。

And we had contacted them earlier before theshow and was like, hey, you guys, what would(80)
我们在节目开始之前就联系了他们,就像,嘿,你们,那会是什么

happen if you guys didn't play that song tonight?(81)
如果你们今晚没有播放那首歌,会发生什么?

Because we feel like we might have to saysomething about that song, because we feel(82)
因为我们觉得我们可能不得不对这首歌说些什么,因为我们觉得

like that's a messed-up song, right, the messageit sends out there, right?(83)
就像那是一首乱糟糟的歌,对,它发出的信息,对吗?

And they were like, well, you guys are a bunchof hypocrites.(84)
他们就像是,好吧,你们是一群伪君子。

Look what you said in the '80s.(85)
看看你在80年代所说的话。

And we're like, OK, then we're hypocrites.(86)
我们就像,好吧,那我们就是假冒为善的人。

But we're going to say something anyway.(87)
但无论如何我们还会说些什么。

So, maybe that reached a couple people.(88)
所以,也许这对几个人来说。

JEFFREY BROWN: They got involved in othercauses, including independence for Tibet.(89)
JEFFREY BROWN:他们参与其他事业,包括西藏独立。

But they were always about fun and friendship,even as they and rap music continued to evolve(90)
但他们总是充满乐趣和友谊,即使他们和说唱音乐不断发展

into a lasting international culture.(91)
进入持久的国际文化。

MIKE DIAMOND: And much as we saw it goingaway, we also didn't see it being the absolute(92)
MIKE DIAMOND:就像我们看到它消失一样,我们也没有看到它是绝对的

dominant pop music that it is now.(93)
现在是流行音乐的主流音乐。

ADAM HOROVITZ: Rap is always going to be relevantgoing into the future, because it's always(94)
ADAM HOROVITZ:Rap总是与未来相关,因为它始终如此

evolving and changing.(95)
不断变化和变化。

JEFFREY BROWN: You guys have been friends,and still together, and you have lost Adam.(96)
JEFFREY BROWN:你们曾经是朋友,而且还在一起,你们已经失去了亚当。

How have you done that?(97)
你是怎么做到的?

I mean, it is an honest story of friendship?(98)
我的意思是,这是一个关于友谊的诚实故事?

ADAM HOROVITZ: We did make a kind of decision,sort of.(99)
ADAM HOROVITZ:我们确实做出了某种决定。

We had the typical thing with a record labelin the '80s, where everything fell apart when(100)
我们在80年代有一个典型的唱片公司,当时的一切都崩溃了

you get paid and suing and like all that sortof stuff that you hear about bands.(101)
你得到报酬和起诉,就像你听到的所有关于乐队的东西一样。

That happened to us.(102)
那发生在我们身上。

And so, instead of -- it could have gone thisway, where we just never spoke to each other(103)
所以,而不是 - 它可能已经走了这条路,我们从来没有互相交谈过

again.(104)
再次。

But we decided, actually, we started thisthing as friends.(105)
但实际上,我们决定以朋友的身份开始这件事。

We're going to end this thing as friends.(106)
我们将以朋友的身份结束这件事。

So, the friendship is the most important thing.(107)
所以,友谊是最重要的。

MIKE DIAMOND: Somehow, it was a very adultdecision.(108)
MIKE DIAMOND:不知何故,这是一个非常成人的决定。

And we weren't adults at the time.(109)
我们当时不是成年人。

But we made that decision.(110)
但我们做出了这个决定。

But I think it served us well.(111)
但我觉得它对我们有好处。

JEFFREY BROWN: After the death of Adam Yauch,there will be no more Beastie Boys music,(112)
JEFFREY BROWN:Adam Yauch去世后,将不再有Beastie Boys的音乐,

but Mike Diamond and Adam Horovitz are tellingtheir story in a series public appearances(113)
但Mike Diamond和Adam Horovitz在一系列公开露面中讲述了他们的故事

this spring.(114)
这个春天。

For the "PBS NewsHour," I'm Jeffrey Brownin Austin, Texas.(115)
对于“PBS NewsHour”,我是德克萨斯州奥斯汀市的Jeffrey Brown。

JUDY WOODRUFF: Fascinating to go back andtalk to them.(116)
JUDY WOODRUFF:很有吸引力的回去和他们交谈。

Thank you, Jeffrey Brown.(117)
谢谢Jeffrey Brown。


All News Articles fetched from PBS RSS Feeds and copyrighted by pbs.org