Will Comey's book have any effect on the Russia probe?
2018-04-16 00:00:00


JUDY WOODRUFF: As we reported earlier, newrevelations made by former FBI James Comey(1)
JUDY WOODRUFF:正如我们之前报道的那样,前FBI James Comey发布了新的启示

have stirred the president's ire on Twitter.(2)
在Twitter上激起了总统的愤怒。

But did they reveal anything new about thepotential legal trouble Mr. Trump could face?(3)
但是他们是否透露了特朗普可能面临的潜在法律问题方面的新情况?

For that, we're joined by Chuck Rosenberg,who served as a U.S. attorney and also as(4)
为此,我们和美国律师Chuck Rosenberg一起加入

a senior FBI official when both Robert Muellerand James Comey served as FBI directors.(5)
联邦调查局高级官员罗伯特穆勒和詹姆斯科米担任联邦调查局局长。

Chuck Rosenberg, thank you and welcome backto the program.(6)
查克罗森伯格,谢谢你,欢迎回到节目。

You have now had a chance to read James Comey'sbook.(7)
你现在有机会阅读James Comey的书。

What was your overall reaction?(8)
你的整体反应是什么?

CHUCK ROSENBERG, Former U.S. Attorney: Well,I did have a chance to read the book.(9)
前美国律师查克罗森伯格:那么,我确实有机会读这本书。

I read it cover to cover this weekend.(10)
我读它封面来涵盖这个周末。

A couple of different reactions.(11)
几种不同的反应。

One, it is exceedingly well-written.(12)
其一,写得非常好。

It's a story well-told.(13)
这是一个很好的故事。

Two, I don't think there are lots of new revelationsin it.(14)
二,我不认为其中有许多新的启示。

And by that, I mean for the legal case thatMueller and his team might be building against(15)
就此而言,我的意思是说,穆勒和他的团队可能会反对这个法律案件

the president or others.(16)
总统或其他人。

And then one other thing that I think I shouldadd, it's a little bit unusual to have witnesses(17)
还有一件我认为应该补充的事情,有证人有点不寻常

out there as publicly as Jim Comey is outthere now speaking and writing.(18)
就像Jim Comey现在在说话和写作一样。

Normally, a prosecutor -- and I was one fora long time -- would caution a witness against(19)
通常,检察官 - 而且我长期以来 - 会警告证人反对

that.(20)
那。

But Jim isn't an ordinary witness, and I'msure the Mueller team already knows his story(21)
但吉姆并不是普通的证人,我相信穆勒团队已经知道他的故事

backwards and forwards.(22)
向后和向前。

JUDY WOODRUFF: And, in fact, I want to askyou about that, Chuck Rosenberg, because there(23)
JUDY WOODRUFF:事实上,我想问你,查克罗森伯格,因为那里

is a fair amount of comment out there aboutthe fact that James Comey not is only making(24)
对于詹姆斯科米并非仅仅在做的事实而言,这里有相当多的评论

observation in this book and any number ofinterviews he's starting to do on television(25)
本书中的观察以及他开始在电视上进行的任何采访

-- in fact, we welcome him in an interviewon the "NewsHour" next week -- but he's making(26)
- 事实上,我们在下周接受“NewsHour”采访时欢迎他 - 但他正在制作

what we in journalism call editorial comments.(27)
我们在新闻界召开编辑评论。

He's commenting on the president.(28)
他在评论总统。

He thinks he's unfit for office.(29)
他认为他不适合上班。

And some pretty strong -- strongly negativecomments about the president.(30)
还有一些非常强烈的 - 对总统的强烈否定评论。

What do you make of that?(31)
你怎么做的?

Is that an appropriate thing for the formerFBI director to do?(32)
这对前联邦调查局局长来说是否合适?

CHUCK ROSENBERG: Well, it's unusual, Judy,there's no question about that.(33)
查克罗森伯格:嗯,这很不寻常,朱迪,这是毫无疑问的。

It's a book, and not a legal brief.(34)
这是一本书,而不是法律简报。

And so, while, normally, you wouldn't expectan FBI director or former FBI director to(35)
所以,通常情况下,你不会指望联邦调查局局长或前联邦调查局局长

do that, I understand it, because he's alsotelling a story.(36)
这样做,我明白了,因为他也在讲一个故事。

And when you tell a story, to bring in yourreader, you add some color, you add observations.(37)
当你讲述一个故事时,为了引入你的读者,你添加了一些颜色,你添加了观察。

A legal brief wouldn't sell very well.(38)
法律简报不会很好销售。

I suspect this book will.(39)
我怀疑这本书会。

JUDY WOODRUFF: And in connection with that,there's been real pushback.(40)
JUDY WOODRUFF:与此相关的是,有真正的回击。

The White House is saying this is just aneffort to sell his books.(41)
白宫说这只是出售他的书而已。

The president has used some strong language,called him a slime ball.(42)
总统用了一些强大的语言,称他为泥球。

What do you make of this?(43)
你对此有何看法?

He's basically gotten himself into a new warwith the president.(44)
他基本上陷入了与总统的新战争中。

CHUCK ROSENBERG: Yes, those terms are deeply,deeply unfortunate.(45)
查克罗森伯格:是的,这些条款是深深的,非常不幸的。

And I don't think they befit the office ofthe president.(46)
我认为他们不适合总统办公室。

Look, I will say this.(47)
看,我会说这个。

I have known Jim Comey for 25 years, as afriend, as a colleague, as a boss.(48)
我和Jim Comey认识了25年,作为朋友,作为同事,作为老板。

He has his faults.(49)
他有他的缺点。

We all do.(50)
大家都这样做。

He has flaws.(51)
他有缺陷。

We all do.(52)
大家都这样做。

He can be stubborn.(53)
他可以固执。

He can be headstrong.(54)
他可以是任性的。

He has a healthy ego.(55)
他有一个健康的自我。

But, in 25 years, I have never -- and I shouldrepeat, never -- known Jim to tell anything(56)
但是,25年来,我从来没有 - 我应该重复,从来不知道吉姆告诉任何事情

but the truth.(57)
但事实如此。

He's a truth-teller.(58)
他是一个真相出纳员。

And that's what I see in the book, storiesI already knew, because I lived through them(59)
这就是我在书中看到的,我已经知道的故事,因为我经历过他们

with him, and stories that I learned in readingit, but I have never known him to do anything(60)
和他一起学习的故事,但我从来不知道他做什么

but tell the truth.(61)
但说实话。

JUDY WOODRUFF: And I gather from what you'resaying, Chuck Rosenberg, that you don't see(62)
JUDY WOODRUFF:我从你所说的,Chuck Rosenberg那里收集到,你看不到

anything in here in either what he's sayingin interviews or in the book that's going(63)
无论他在采访中还是在本书中所说的内容都在这里

to change the trajectory of the Mueller investigation?(64)
改变穆勒调查的轨迹?

CHUCK ROSENBERG: I really don't.(65)
查克罗森伯格:我真的不知道。

I mean, there's a legal campaign, and thatwill be waged by agents and prosecutors on(66)
我的意思是,有一个合法的运动,这将由代理人和检察官发起

one side and defense counsel on the other.(67)
另一方和辩护律师。

And then there's a P.R. campaign, and obviouslybeing waged by media folks and pundits and(68)
然后是公关活动,显然是由媒体人士和专家进行的

analysts and the like.(69)
分析师等等。

But if you're looking at the legal campaign,no, I don't think it changes anything.(70)
但是如果你在看法律活动,不,我认为它不会改变任何事情。

Again, we don't normally want our witnessesout talking publicly.(71)
再次,我们通常不希望我们的证人公开谈论。

JUDY WOODRUFF: Right.(72)
JUDY WOODRUFF:对。

CHUCK ROSENBERG: I get that.(73)
查克罗森伯格:我明白了。

But I don't think it changes the trajectoryof the investigation or the case.(74)
但我认为这不会改变调查或案件的轨迹。

JUDY WOODRUFF: All right, different developmenttoday.(75)
JUDY WOODRUFF:好的,今天有不同的发展。

In a New York City federal courtroom, MichaelCohen, one of President Trump's personal attorneys(76)
在纽约市联邦法庭上,迈克尔科恩是特朗普总统的个人律师之一

in court, in essence protesting federal agentscoming into his home, into his offices last(77)
在法庭上,实质上是抗议联邦特工进入他的家,最后进入他的办公室

week, raiding, taking materials.(78)
一周,突袭,采取材料。

What was that hearing all about, and can youexplain to us what the judge's ruling, decision(79)
那是什么听证会,你能向我们解释一下法官的裁决和决定

was afterwards?(80)
之后呢?

CHUCK ROSENBERG: I hope so.(81)
查克罗森伯格:我希望如此。

So, essentially, the Cohen team wanted tostop the prosecutors and the investigators(82)
所以,本质上,科恩小组想要阻止检察官和调查人员

from reviewing anything that was taken fromhis office.(83)
从审查从他的办公室采取的任何事情。

The prosecutors had set up a system -- wealways do -- where a privilege review team(84)
检察官已经建立了一个系统 - 我们总是这样做 - 在一个特权审查组

would look first at the stuff and decide whetheror not it is attorney-client privilege.(85)
会先看看这些东西,然后决定它是不是律师 - 客户特权。

If it isn't, then they can essentially throwit over the transom to the investigative team.(86)
如果不是,那么他们基本上可以把它放在调查小组的尾板上。

Mr. Cohen and his attorneys asked the judgeto stop the process.(87)
科恩先生和他的律师要求法官停止这一进程。

And Judge Wood said she wouldn't.(88)
而伍德法官说她不会。

She's going to let the process continue.(89)
她会让这个过程继续下去。

The judge did say, however, that we have tothink about how it's going to look going forward,(90)
然而,法官确实说过,我们必须考虑未来的发展方向,

whether or not she's just going to let theprosecutors and their privilege review team(91)
不管她是否会让检察官和他们的特权审查小组

do the work, whether she will appoint a specialmaster, somebody beholden to the court to(92)
做这项工作,她是否会任命一位特别的大师,有人会向法庭屈服

do that work.(93)
做那个工作。

To be determined on the process and the details.(94)
要确定过程和细节。

But, essentially, Mr. Cohen's team lost, thecase will proceeded, and the review of the(95)
但是,基本上,科恩先生的团队失败了,案件将继续进行,并且审查

privileged documents will take place in somefashion.(96)
特权文件将以某种方式发生。

JUDY WOODRUFF: Well, a lot of eyes on that,procedures.(97)
JUDY WOODRUFF:嗯,很多人关注的是程序。

Chuck Rosenberg, thank you very much.(98)
查克罗森伯格,非常感谢你。

CHUCK ROSENBERG: Thanks for having me.(99)
查克罗森伯格:谢谢你拥有我。

It's a privilege.(100)
这是一种特权。


All News Articles fetched from PBS RSS Feeds and copyrighted by pbs.org