Why Eric Swalwell thinks he can win over Trump supporters -- like his parents
2019-05-24 00:00:00


JUDY WOODRUFF: There are now 23 candidatesin the 2020 presidential race, and among them(1)
JUDY WOODRUFF:2020年总统大选中有23名候选人,其中包括

is California Congressman Eric Swalwell.(2)
是加利福尼亚州众议员Eric Swalwell。

At 38, he is one of the youngest candidatesrunning in the Democratic primary, and has(3)
38岁时,他是民主党初选中最年轻的候选人之一

made gun control the key issue of his campaign.(4)
使枪支控制他的竞选活动的关键问题。

I spoke to Congressman Swalwell yesterdayabout his run for the presidency.(5)
昨天我和国会议员斯瓦尔韦尔谈到了他竞选总统的问题。

So, why should voters support a four-termcongressman from the state of California for(6)
那么,为什么选民应该支持来自加利福尼亚州的四届国会议员

president of the United States?(7)
美国总统?

REP.(8)
REP。

ERIC SWALWELL (D-CA), Presidential Candidate:Well, first, I know how hard people work and(9)
ERIC SWALWELL(D-CA),总统候选人:嗯,首先,我知道人们的工作有多么艰难

what they expect it to add up to.(10)
他们期望它加起来的东西。

I was the first in my family to go to college.(11)
我是家里第一个上大学的人。

I have two kids under 2.(12)
我有两个2岁以下的孩子。

I'm paying off student loans.(13)
我还清了学生贷款。

And so I see the promise of America for manyAmericans broken, which is, you work hard,(14)
因此,我看到美国对许多美国人的承诺被打破,也就是说,你努力工作,

you do better, dream bigger.(15)
你做得更好,梦想更大。

But I have been in the Congress on the IntelligenceCommittee as our democracy has been on the(16)
但是,由于我们的民主制一直存在,所以我一直参加情报委员会的国会

ropes.(17)
绳索。

And I have stood firmly for the rule of law.(18)
我坚定地支持法治。

I have gone to the war zones.(19)
我去了战区。

I have met with foreign leaders.(20)
我见过外国领导人。

I have taken the classified briefings.(21)
我参加了机密的简报会。

So, on day one, I will be ready to know whowe need as friends in this world and who the(22)
所以,在第一天,我将准备好了解我们作为这个世界的朋友需要谁,以及谁

threats are, but also just to bring generationaloptimism that I think is needed, fresh ideas(23)
威胁,但也只是带来我认为需要的代际乐观,新思路

on the issues of health care, education access,and, of course, the centerpiece of our platform,(24)
关于医疗保健,教育机会,当然还有我们平台的核心问题,

being safe in your schools and reducing gunviolence.(25)
在你的学校安全,减少枪支暴力。

JUDY WOODRUFF: You have emphasized youth.(26)
JUDY WOODRUFF:你强调了青春。

And you are 38 years old.(27)
而你今年38岁。

There is one candidate, though, who's younger.(28)
但是,有一位候选人更年轻。

REP.(29)
REP。

ERIC SWALWELL: Yes.(30)
ERIC SWALWELL:是的。

JUDY WOODRUFF: And that's Pete Buttigieg,who's...(31)
JUDY WOODRUFF:那是Pete Buttigieg,他是......

REP.(32)
REP。

ERIC SWALWELL: He's too young to run.(33)
ERIC SWALWELL:他太年轻了,无法跑步。

JUDY WOODRUFF: ... 37.(34)
JUDY WOODRUFF:...... 37。

(LAUGHTER)
REP.(35)
REP。

ERIC SWALWELL: I'm just kidding.(36)
ERIC SWALWELL:我只是在开玩笑。

JUDY WOODRUFF: But he's got executive experience.(37)
JUDY WOODRUFF:但他有执行经验。

REP.(38)
REP。

ERIC SWALWELL: Yes, he does.(39)
ERIC SWALWELL:是的,他确实如此。

JUDY WOODRUFF: He's been the mayor of a smallcity in Indiana.(40)
JUDY WOODRUFF:他是印第安纳州一个小城市的市长。

REP.(41)
REP。

ERIC SWALWELL: Yes.(42)
ERIC SWALWELL:是的。

JUDY WOODRUFF: Why are you more qualified?(43)
JUDY WOODRUFF:你为什么更合格?

REP.(44)
REP。

ERIC SWALWELL: No, I like Mayor Pete.(45)
ERIC SWALWELL:不,我喜欢Pete市长。

There's Tulsi Gabbard and Seth Moulton, otherswho are in this millennial generation.(46)
有Tulsi Gabbard和Seth Moulton,其他人都是千禧一代。

I believe that it's being connected to everydayfolks, knowing why they work hard through(47)
我相信它与日常生活在一起,知道为什么他们努力工作

my working-class roots.(48)
我的工人阶级根源。

It's the optimism that I can bring, believingthat health care cures is a way, not just(49)
这是我能带来的乐观,相信医疗保健是一种方式,而不仅仅是

coverage, but seeking cures to bring downcosts, and having a college bargain.(50)
报道,但寻求治疗降低成本,并有大学讨价还价。

So, if you go to college, do work study, servea community that needs it when you get out,(51)
所以,如果你上大学,做工作学习,为你出去时需要它的社区服务,

it adds up to a debt-free education.(52)
它增加了无债务教育。

And then, finally, again, that experienceof being day-one ready while our democracy(53)
然后,最后,再次,在我们的民主制度下,成为第一天的经验

has gone in this deep dark hole.(54)
已经进入了这个深洞。

I'm on the Judiciary Committee.(55)
我是司法委员会的成员。

I'm on the Intelligence Committee.(56)
我是情报委员会的成员。

We're not rolling the dice on someone whodoesn't know how the federal government works,(57)
对于不了解联邦政府如何运作的人,我们不会骰子,

as we did with this last president.(58)
正如我们对这位上任总统所做的那样

JUDY WOODRUFF: I want to come to that issueof gun control.(59)
JUDY WOODRUFF:我想谈谈枪支控制问题。

You are making it a centerpiece of your campaign.(60)
您正在将其作为广告系列的核心内容。

But you do have other candidates in the racewho have been on this issue for years.(61)
但是你在比赛中确实有其他候选人多年来一直在这个问题上。

Joe Biden worked for years on an anti-crimebill.(62)
乔拜登多年来一直致力于反犯罪法案。

Kamala Harris, her work in California.(63)
卡玛拉哈里斯,她在加利福尼亚的工作。

She's talking about using executive authority.(64)
她在谈论使用行政权力。

How are your views, in a nutshell, differentfrom all the others?(65)
简而言之,您的观点与其他观点有何不同?

REP.(66)
REP。

ERIC SWALWELL: Well, I was a prosecutor whoworked in Oakland as a prosecutor.(67)
ERIC SWALWELL:嗯,我是一名在奥克兰担任检察官的检察官。

So I saw what gun violence does to our cities.(68)
所以我看到枪支暴力给我们的城市带来了什么。

I went to Chicago yesterday, similar issuesthere.(69)
我昨天去了芝加哥,那里有类似的问题。

So, from the cities to the suburbs to therural areas, it's access to firearms, it's(70)
因此,从城市到郊区再到农村地区,就可以获得枪械了

investing in mental health services in ourschools.(71)
在我们的学校投资精神卫生服务。

And my -- I'm the only candidate who's callingfor a ban and buy-back of the 15 million assault(72)
而我 - 我是唯一一个要求禁止和回购1500万攻击的候选人

rifles that are on our streets today.(73)
今天在我们街上的步枪。

I came to Congress when Sandy Hook happened,and was demoralized as we went from mass shooting(74)
当Sandy Hook发生时,我来到了国会,当我们从群众射击中走出来时,他们士气低落

to mass shooting.(75)
大规模射击

I sat for 26 hours on the floor after Orlandoin protest.(76)
奥兰多抗议后,我在地板上坐了26个小时。

So I want to seize the momentum that thesemoms and the students and community activists(77)
所以我想抓住这些妈妈以及学生和社区活动家的势头

have done to take out 17 NRA-endorsed membersof Congress.(78)
已经完成了17名NRA认可的国会议员。

I want to seize it and negotiate up, not downon policies on gun violence.(79)
我想抓住它并进行谈判,而不是关注枪支暴力的政策。

JUDY WOODRUFF: And you think this is an issuethat can galvanize voters?(80)
JUDY WOODRUFF:你认为这是一个可以刺激选民的问题吗?

I ask because, in the past, it hasn't -- ithasn't seemed to be something that gets voters(81)
我问,因为,在过去,它没有 - 它似乎没有得到选民的东西

energized enough to vote one way or another.(82)
充满活力,以某种方式投票。

REP.(83)
REP。

ERIC SWALWELL: I was in Fairfield, Iowa, avery rural community, earlier this week.(84)
ERIC SWALWELL:本周早些时候,我在爱荷华州的费尔菲尔德,一个非常农村的社区。

I did a gun violence town hall.(85)
我做了枪暴暴市政厅。

Over 125 people showed up.(86)
超过125人出现了。

And I asked a woman.(87)
我问了一个女人。

I said: "I know why I'm here, this issue Icare about a lot.(88)
我说:“我知道为什么我在这里,这个问题我非常关心。

But in this safe community, why are you here?"(89)
但在这个安全的社区,你为什么来这里?“

And she said: "Because we don't want a shootingto happen at our church."(90)
她说:“因为我们不希望在教堂发生枪击事件。”

It's also about our kids.(91)
这也是关于我们的孩子。

I took my son to his preschool orientationlast week.(92)
我上周带儿子去学前班。

And I thought about something I didn't haveto think about when I was going to school,(93)
我想到了我上学的时候没有想到的事情,

which is, is he safe in this building?(94)
这是他在这栋楼里的安全吗?

And so this issue of safety in our schoolsand our churches and the places we gather,(95)
所以这个安全问题在我们的学校和教堂以及我们聚集的地方,

it's top of mind now for voters.(96)
对于选民而言,这是最重要的。

JUDY WOODRUFF: Now I'm going to turn -- turnthe corner now and ask you about something(97)
JUDY WOODRUFF:现在我要转身 - 现在转过弯,向你询问一些事情

that's on a lot of people's minds and certainlyfarmers and others in business around this(98)
这是关于很多人的想法,当然还有农民和其他商人

country, and that is the trade war with China.(99)
这是与中国的贸易战。

You have said you don't think the trade waris beneficial.(100)
你说你不认为贸易战是有益的。

But, again, what would you do differentlyfrom what President Trump is doing specifically?(101)
但是,再一次,你对特朗普总统的具体做法有何不同?

Would you go back to the Obama-Biden tradepolicies?(102)
你会回到奥巴马 - 拜登的贸易政策吗?

REP.(103)
REP。

ERIC SWALWELL: Yes, I would form a class-action.(104)
ERIC SWALWELL:是的,我会组成一个集体诉讼。

We're in a significant trade deficit withChina today.(105)
我们今天对中国的贸易逆差很大。

Going one-on-one with them in a trade waris ineffective, and the way the president(106)
在贸易战中与他们一对一是无效的,以及总统的方式

is prosecuting it is incompetent.(107)
起诉它是无能的。

They are a bad actor on intellectual property,on dumping steel, on manipulating currency.(108)
他们是知识产权,倾销钢铁,操纵货币的坏人。

That's not the issue.(109)
那不是问题。

The issue, though, is, can you band togetherwith Australia and Japan and South Korea,(110)
但问题是,你能和澳大利亚,日本和韩国联合起来吗?

other victims of what China is doing, to prosecutethe case against them?(111)
中国正在做的其他受害者,起诉针对他们的案件?

Our president has alienated us from our traditionalallies.(112)
我们的总统疏远了我们与传统盟友的关系。

I would know who our friends are, and go tothem to make the case against China to protect(113)
我知道我们的朋友是谁,然后去找他们来保护中国

our farmer, to protect our steel workers,to protect our intellectual innovators.(114)
我们的农民,保护我们的钢铁工人,保护我们的智力创新者。

JUDY WOODRUFF: And on a subject that is onthe minds of Democrats and Republicans right(115)
JUDY WOODRUFF:关于民主党和共和党人的思想问题

now, and that is impeachment.(116)
现在,这就是弹劾。

I think it was just a few nights ago you saidin an interview that President Trump is giving(117)
我想,就在几天前,你在接受特朗普总统赠送的采访时说

Congress no option.(118)
国会别无选择。

But if Speaker Pelosi is right, what she'ssaying, it's better to wait, see when you(119)
但如果说佩洛西议长是对的,她说的话,最好等一下,看看你什么时候

get the facts, let's keep studying this, let'skeep trying to gather information.(120)
得到事实,让我们继续研究这个,让我们继续努力收集信息。

Do you believe that she is inevitably goingto have to change her position on that and(121)
你是否相信她不可避免地要改变自己的立场?

that there will be impeachment proceedings?(122)
会有弹劾程序吗?

REP.(123)
REP。

ERIC SWALWELL: Yes, I don't really questionthe wisdom of Speaker Pelosi.(124)
ERIC SWALWELL:是的,我并没有真正质疑佩洛西议长的智慧。

She's been in these fights before.(125)
她之前一直在参加这些比赛。

I think she sees where this is going.(126)
我想她会看到这是怎么回事。

I think we're on a road to impeachment.(127)
我想我们正在走上弹劾的道路。

And she, like myself, believes that you haveto exhaust all of the remedies to show the(128)
而且,就像我一样,她相信你必须用尽所有的补救措施才能表现出来

American people you're following the ruleof law, that we're not going to do Donald(129)
美国人你遵守法治,我们不打算做唐纳德

Trump justice.(130)
特朗普正义。

The first remedy was the American people.(131)
第一个补救措施是美国人民。

They voted him in.(132)
他们投了他一票。

We respected that.(133)
我们尊重这一点。

Then we put a balance of power on his abusesof power in the midterms.(134)
然后我们对他在中期的滥用权力进行了权力平衡。

He has not respected that.(135)
他没有尊重这一点。

He's outnumbered.(136)
他的数量超过了他。

The subpoena power and the courts are on ourside.(137)
传票权力和法院都在我们这边。

But I think he's backing us into the onlyother remedy that's the most extraordinary(138)
但我认为他支持我们进入最特别的其他补救措施

remedy, which is impeachment.(139)
补救,这是弹劾。

But I want to make sure we do everything elsefirst before we get there.(140)
但是我想确保在到达之前我们先做其他事情。

I think we're pretty close.(141)
我想我们非常接近。

JUDY WOODRUFF: Do you think you're giving,in some way, the president a boost, as Democrats,(142)
JUDY WOODRUFF:作为民主党人,你认为你在某种程度上给予总统一定的支持吗?

if -- the more there is even talk about impeachment,much less moving to impeachment proceedings?(143)
如果 - 甚至更多地谈论弹劾,更不用说弹劾程序了?

REP.(144)
REP。

ERIC SWALWELL: I honestly I try not to thinkabout it that way, because that means I'm(145)
ERIC SWALWELL:老实说,我尽量不这么想,因为那意味着我

not looking at the evidence.(146)
不看证据。

And the evidence is, you have a lawless presidentwho is telling his administration officials(147)
有证据表明,你有一位无法无天的总统正在告诉他的政府官员

not to comply with the law.(148)
不遵守法律。

He's been characterized as a double-digitobstructor in the Mueller report.(149)
在穆勒报告中,他被描述为一个两位数的障碍物。

No one's above the law in this country.(150)
在这个国家,没有人凌驾于法律之上。

No one could get away with what he's gettingaway with.(151)
没有人可以逃脱他正在逃避的事情。

And that's what I have to focus on.(152)
这就是我必须关注的问题。

JUDY WOODRUFF: Speaking of President Trump,finally, you said when you announced that(153)
JUDY WOODRUFF:说到特朗普总统,最后,当你宣布时,你说

you have family members -- I believe yourown parents...(154)
你有家人 - 我相信你自己的父母......

REP.(155)
REP。

ERIC SWALWELL: Yes.(156)
ERIC SWALWELL:是的。

Yes.(157)
是。

JUDY WOODRUFF: ... who are supporters of PresidentTrump.(158)
JUDY WOODRUFF:......谁是特朗普总统的支持者。

They have a magnet on the refrigerator inthe kitchen that says Trump-Pence.(159)
特朗普便士说,厨房的冰箱里有一块磁铁。

REP.(160)
REP。

ERIC SWALWELL: That's right.(161)
ERIC SWALWELL:没错。

JUDY WOODRUFF: Is that magnet still there?(162)
JUDY WOODRUFF:那磁铁还在吗?

REP.(163)
REP。

ERIC SWALWELL: I hope it's not.(164)
ERIC SWALWELL:我希望不是。

I may have to go into the voting booth withmy parents if I make it to the general election.(165)
如果我参加大选,我可能不得不和父母一起进入投票站。

But my parents, I would say, are strong RonaldReagan Republicans.(166)
但我会说,我的父母是罗纳德·里根共和党人。

And I was raised in the '80s.(167)
我是在80年代成长的。

And they wanted us to be strong in the worldand not waste the taxpayers' dollars.(168)
他们希望我们在世界上变得强大,而不是浪费纳税人的钱。

And I think I can win over people like myparents.(169)
而且我认为我可以像父母那样赢得胜利。

I was born in the Midwest, have that fiscalprudence, American values.(170)
我出生在中西部,有财政审慎,美国价值观。

And we see a president who has just rackedup debt with tax cuts for the wealthiest,(171)
我们看到一位总统刚刚为最富有的人减税而累积债务,

and has alienated us in the world and hasdrawn us closer to Vladimir Putin than he(172)
并且在世界上疏远了我们,使我们更接近弗拉基米尔普京而不是他

has to the Brits and the Australians and peoplethat we need.(173)
我们需要的是英国人,澳大利亚人和人民。

I think these never-Trump voters are goingto need a place to go.(174)
我认为这些从来没有特朗普选民需要一个地方去。

And the son of Reagan Republicans might bethat candidate.(175)
里根共和党的儿子可能是那个候选人。

JUDY WOODRUFF: But you don't have any doubtyour parents would vote for you?(176)
JUDY WOODRUFF:但你有任何疑问,你的父母会投票给你?

(CROSSTALK)
REP.(177)
REP。

ERIC SWALWELL: They will vote for me, yes,yes.(178)
ERIC SWALWELL:他们会投票支持我,是的,是的。

Of course they will.(179)
他们当然会。

But my wife's also from Southern Indiana.(180)
但我的妻子也来自南印第安纳州。

And we just did an Indiana town hall overthe weekend in Columbus, Indiana, and saw(181)
我们周末在印第安纳州哥伦布市做了一个印第安纳州的市政厅

hundreds of people show up there, many Republicans.(182)
有数百人出现在那里,许多共和党人。

So, born in Iowa, married to a Hoosier, educatedin the South, elected in a diverse part of(183)
所以,出生在爱荷华州,与在南方接受教育的印第安纳人结婚,在不同的部分当选

California.(184)
加利福尼亚。

I can add states in the general election.(185)
我可以在大选中加入州。

JUDY WOODRUFF: Congressman Eric Swalwell,running for the Democratic nomination, we(186)
JUDY WOODRUFF:国会议员埃里克斯瓦尔威尔,竞选民主党提名,我们

thank you.(187)
谢谢。

REP.(188)
REP。

ERIC SWALWELL: Thank you, Judy.(189)
ERIC SWALWELL:谢谢Judy。


All News Articles fetched from PBS RSS Feeds and copyrighted by pbs.org